The badge or belt and buckle displays an oak on a ducal coronet and has the motto THROUGH.

Gaelic: Hamultun

Derivation: The Hamilton clan derived its name from Hambledon in the Thames Valley, which the Norman progenitor held. About 500 years later, the family headed north to Scotland and a descendant, Walter Fitz Gilbert, became governor of Bothwell Castle towards the end of the thirteenth century.His reward for changing sides was the Barony of Cadzow in Lanarkshire, awarded to him by Robert Bruce. This was the beginnings of the Hamilton estates which expanded in the ensuing centuries.
James, sixth of Cadzow, was named Lord Hamilton in 1445 and his son James became Earl of Arran in 1503 and Duke of Chatelherault (France) in 1549.

Eventually the head of this powerful family held three Dukedoms, Hamilton in 1643 and Brandon in England. A grandson of the second Earl of Arran became Earl of Abercorn in 1606 and his descendants became Marquess in 1790 and Duke in 1868. The Earls of Haddington originate from a junior branch.

Hamilton town
The Noble House of Hamilton
Arms of the Duke of Hamilton
House of Hamilton extract